Highly Anticipated 2012 Releases

Friday, December 3, 2010

Review: Gone by Lisa McMann



For those of you unsure of what Gone is, let me give you a background. Gone is the final book in the Wake Trilogy (Wake, Fade, Gone). 

The trilogy follows Janie, a "dreamcatcher", or, in other words, a girl who enters into other's dreams. Or well, maybe instead of "entering" in, she gets "sucked" in. She has dealt with this gift/curse/ability since she was a young child. Dealing with it was definitely hard when she had no father around (never even met the guy) and her mother was an alcoholic who didn't pay attention to her at all. 

In Wake, Janie finally meets someone who learns about her ability--Cabel. I can't give much away about them, because I don't want to ruin it if you haven't read the trilogy yet. But, basically, the first two books explore the relationship between Janie and Cabel and different life issues they're dealing with. 

The first two books, Wake and Fade, focus heavily on Janie and Cabel's relationship. Gone, however, tends to shift the focus entirely. The book focuses largely on Janie finally seeing her father for the first time. It deals heavily with her life, the complications and future complications of being a "dream catcher" and the impact of having a dysfunctional family. 

While I found the first two books to be a little more interesting, I still enjoyed the final book. Lisa McMann has addressed a lot of issues about dysfunctional families that many individuals may go through. The first page of her book even says "For all those who have trouble at home. You are not alone."

While the issues in the book didn't get resolved the way I would have liked them to, I still have to say that the book ended realistically. The ending was slightly bittersweet. Overall, I have to say that this was still a good ending to a great story. 

I would highly recommend checking out this trilogy if you haven't already. While I'm sad to see this trilogy go, it only means that new doors will be opening for McMann. Her next book, Cryer's Cross, is already being released in February 2011! I can't wait to see what this new novel will hold!

Extra Special "Wickedly Sweet" Goodness

The boyfriend, Cabel! Seriously, Cabel is ADORABLE! He is so loving and dedicated to Janie. He's always trying to protect her and care for her. Seriously, he scores a 5/5 wickedly sweet cupcakes just for being an amazing boyfriend!

Amazing descriptions. McMann does a great job at describing the dreams in great detail. I love the way she allows the reader to envision the scenario.

An amazing protagonist. Sometimes I think that Janie is a little selfish, but then again, who isn't? I mean, being a dream catcher is way harder than it sounds. So, overall, I give her props for the work she does.

Sweet boyfriend.
Sweet, vivid descriptions
Sweet protagonist
and a 


story line

Overall, I give Gone a rating of 4/5 Wickedly Sweet Cupcakes!


*Once again, all images on this website are used for entertainment purposes only. No copyright infringement intended.


No comments:

Post a Comment